Over recent years, we have experienced an increase in the number of commercial clients choosing to have their own new-build premises constructed. Fuelled by a lack of supply to the commercial market in Lancashire, one of the benefits to companies is that they can create a purpose-built workplace to suit their needs both for now and into the future.
Whilst going down the route of new build has its advantages, many companies are inexperienced in managing large-scale building projects. In these circumstances, it is sensible for clients to instruct an Employer’s Agent to act on their behalf, overseeing the contractor and protecting their interests in the contract.
Lea Hough have extensive experience acting as Employer’s Agent, both for the company clients who instruct the work and for developers who may instruct contractors to complete the build.
In either case, our role is to assume responsibility for ensuring the works are undertaken to the client’s required standards in terms of quality, time and cost.
Here are some examples of recent projects where we have performed the Employer’s Agent role:
- Holt Court, Nelson – a terrace of ten new-build starter units and a separate detached building comprising a pair of small industrial units. The size of the total development was 82,350 square foot, with unit sizes ranging from 750 to 1,300 square foot. The units were sold to individual property investors, either for owner-occupier purposes (to small businesses) or sold to investors who have since let the units to tenants. Read more on Holt Court
- Viaduct Road, Leeds – construction of the bespoke new unit on behalf of T F Smiths, who operate a Fix-Auto vehicle repair business. Undertaken during the Covid-19 pandemic, the 16,000ft² unit comprised a large mechanics’ workshop, offices and toilets as well as a mezzanine and a large forecourt. Read more on Viaduct Road
- Sugden’s Factory in Lancashire – new manufacturing plant for Sugdens, which was a bespoke designed new-build engineering factory with two-storey offices, standing at 35,000 sq foot. Read more on Sugden’s factory
- New-build children’s nursery in Pendle – a 15,000 sq foot, bespoke nursery located at Pendle Court in Nelson. Read more on Pendle Court Day Nursery
- CBTC N7 in Chorley – new-build office block on Chorley Technology and Business Centre, in Euxton. Read more about N7 office block
- CBTC N8 in Chorley – new-build office buildings at Euxton, Chorley. New three-story office building, along with associated car parking, cycle shelters, site landscaping, etc. New office building will provide 2,085m2 floor space extending over three floors comprising largely open plan office space, along with associate facilities/ancillary accommodation.
- Nursery at Barrow Brook, Clitheroe – bespoke new-build nursery on behalf of property investor/commercial property Landlord. New nursery building providing nursery and pre-school education/care for approximately 120 children. The nursery building has a footprint approx. 19.8m in length x 14.8m in width with a two-storey entrance foyer/stairwell to give a combined floor area of 650m2 over two storeys.
The above listed projects have all been Design & Build contracts, where the Employer’s Agent role encompassed providing all professional expertise involved in the design, procurement and project-management of the works.
As an independent Employer’s Agent, we were able to provide advice and protect the client’s interests during the whole of the development, from inception to completion.
Find out more about Lea Hough’s services as Employer’s Agent or get in touch with us for an initial discussion with a member of our Commercial Building Surveying Team.