Lea Hough Chartered Surveyors has considerable experience of working with public sector organisations and Councils/Local Authorities across a range of works involving public buildings.
From specifying and project-managing large-scale refurbishments of public buildings through to undertaking programmes of minor improvement works, as well as property valuation and dilapidations advice, our firm has become a “go to” consultancy for public bodies.
Having worked as a trusted partner in many projects involving public buildings or land, we understand the requirements of public bodies/Local Authorities.
Public sector buildings can often be older important buildings and subject to a heavy amount of footfall, and therefore require regular and ongoing maintenance, or periodic refurbishment. When preparing a Schedule of Works to be undertaken, our team will not only opt for the solutions that are cost-effective, but will also consider long-term value for money and sustainability. Eco-friendly solutions are also gaining increasing prominence in the projects we are asked to tender for as local councils look to reduce their carbon output.
Over the years, our team have undertaken several projects on behalf of local authorities. Instructions that we have been appointed to undertake include:
- Specifications, drawings, tendering and project-management – for example, Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) projects on town centre/high street public buildings.
- Valuations of assets for a Borough Council, including a portfolio of unusual properties such as sports centres, pavilions and toilet blocks.
- Preparing Schedules of Dilapidations on behalf of Councils, who are the Landlord of shops, etc.
- Redevelopment proposals for a disused site on behalf of a Local Authority.
- Compulsory purchase valuations.
- Right-to-buy Valuation of council houses.
- Pre-acquisition Building Survey Report of commercial property to be purchased by a Council.
- Stock Condition Surveys of Council owned property.
- Advice regarding development potential of farm land owned by Local Authorities.
Public sector buildings can often be historical or Listed and there is often a desire or need to preserve period features whilst maximising the building’s potential use. This is something our team have developed an expertise in helping both public bodies and private clients to achieve.
Besides council owned property, we also have lots of experience of project-managing repair and improvement projects at schools, academies, colleges, churches and community centres, etc.
As Chartered Surveyors governed by the RICS, our team has all of the necessary qualifications and our firm has in place the procedures and indemnity to be able to partner with and support public bodies and work on public buildings.
For more information on our work within the public sector, or to speak to a member of our team about a project involving a public building, please contact us.