Dilapidations is a complex area and when facing a dilapidations claim, it’s important to get the support of a surveyor who you can trust to represent you.

Here is some advice on how to go about choosing a surveyor to defend your business’ interests in a dilapidations claim.

Choose a surveyor with dilapidations expertise

It doesn’t always follow that every surveyor has the same level of experience in all matters. Just as in other professions, surveyors will often specialise in specific areas of work, with dilapidations being one of these specialisms. 

Ask for examples

Ask your surveyor if they have a track record in defending dilapidations claims and request examples. A surveyor that has been successful in defending dilapidations claims on behalf of tenants will be only too happy to share examples or testimonials from clients.

Look for a Chartered or RICS registered Surveyor

Finding a surveyor that works to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) code of practice and is RICS Registered will often also stand you in good stead. Should the dilapidations claim escalate into a legal dispute, the courts will require a report from a Chartered Surveyor. So if you appoint one in the first place, you know you will not need to duplicate work (and cost) further down the line. 

Don’t leave it too late

Should you become aware that you are facing a dilapidations claim, you should seek advice as soon as possible. There is a lot of work involved in defending a dilapidations claim, often including an inspection of the property and the preparation of a report on the property’s condition. These steps are necessary to being to negotiate the settlement down and depending on the availability of your surveyor, could take some weeks. Having a dilapidations claim hanging over you can be stressful, so beginning the process at the earliest possible stage allows you to know where you stand sooner. Of course, being proactive and reviewing your position in advance of the end of your lease can go a long way to improving where you stand in relation to dilapidations.

Lea Hough has an excellent reputation for defending dilapidations claims in relation to commercial properties, particularly in Lancashire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester and the Yorkshire Dales. For more information or to discuss a dilapidations claim you are involved in, please get in touch.

Preston Office
Telephone: 01772 458866
Blackburn Office
Telephone: 01254 260196
Clitheroe Office
Telephone: 01200 320040
Lancaster Office
Telephone: 01524 899850
Manchester Office
Telephone: 0161 265 0070
Lea Hough is a trading name of Lea Hough & Co LLP, which is a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England and Wales under partnership number OC306054.
Registered Office: Oakshaw House, 2 Capricorn Park, Blakewater Road, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 5QR